S M Tu W Th F S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
- 12:00 PM-1:00 PMDecember 19, 2020
Raleigh Chapter Compatriots,
This year’s annual National Wreaths Across America Day is on Saturday, December 19th, 2020.
Every December, Wreaths Across America coordinates wreath-laying ceremonies across the nation, from Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia to approximately 1,200 cemeteries in all 50 states. The mission is to Remember, Honor, and Teach: to Remember our fallen veterans from the Revolutionary War to present-day conflicts, to honor the services of those who serve, and to teach our younger generation the value of freedom.
The Historic Oakwood Cemetery in Raleigh is one of the local event sites. Due to COVID restrictions this year, the ceremony will only be virtual. However, there are several ways you can participate and contribute to the event:
- Purchase and sponsor a wreath. Wreaths Across America is short of its goal this year and needs your help. Wreaths are $15 each, and the order on-line link is here: https://wreathsacrossamerica.org/pages/16689/Overview/?relatedId=0 (click the red button “sponsor wreaths”).
- Actively watch the service at 12:00 PM on December 19th. The broadcast of the ceremony is on the day of the event, and the link is here: http://www.facebook.com/historicoakwoodcemeteryraleigh
- Oakwood Cemetery asks the public not to gather at the cemetery on the day of the event but instead, watch the ceremony via the Facebook streaming broadcast.
We encourage all members to sponsor a wreath if possible, and it is a great way to honor our fallen veterans. The Raleigh Chapter will keep you apprised should the event organizers ask for volunteers to participate during the ceremony.
There are two known patriots buried at Oakwood Cemetery, Colonel John Hinton Sr. (b. 1720 – d. 1784) and Major John Hinton Jr. (b. 1748 – d. 1818). They were members of the NC Militia, originally buried at a family cemetery in Knightdale near Old Milburnie Road. Both of the Patriots’ graves have since relocated to Oakwood Cemetery. The Raleigh Chapter held a SAR grave-marking ceremony in 2011. The grave locations are in “Section A” of the Historic Oakwood Cemetery towards Hickory Avenue.
NCSSAR Raleigh Chapter Leadership
_________________________________________________________________________12:00 PM-1:30 PMDecember 19, 2020
https://www.ncssar.org/event/ncssar-raleigh-chapter-december-zoom-meeting/December 2020 Chapter Meeting CancelledThe Next Local Chapter Meeting will be in January 2021
Please join us on Saturday for the Raleigh Chapter ZOOM Meeting. Time: December 19, 2020 12:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada) (Please onboard 15 minutes prior to start time)
___________________________________Stephen A. Morris, President of Raleigh ChapterNorth Carolina Society Sons of the American RevolutionPh. (919) 210-9005
NCSSAR Raleigh Chapter Agenda:
________________________________________________________________________12:00 PM-1:00 PMDecember 19, 2020
- Call to Order – Steve Morris, President
- Invocation – Van Jones, Chaplain
- Pledge of Allegiance – Van Jones, Chaplain
- National Anthem – Van Jones, Chaplain
- Pledge of the SAR
- Welcome Compatriots – Steve Morris, President
- Unfinished Business
- New Business
- Guest Speaker – TBD
- SAR Recessional
3700 Forest Lawn Dr, Matthews, NC, United States3700 Forest Lawn Dr, Matthews, NC, United States
Join the Mecklenburg chapter for the annual Wreaths Across America ceremony and Veterans wreath laying ceremony at Forest Lawn East Cemetery in Matthews, NC beginning at 12 noon. Follow the signs and traffic around to where you see everybody gathering. Park on the side of little road like everybody else.
All members of the chapter and DAR are invited. No uniform is necessary. Just dress warmly! We are assigned a specific part of the cemetery where we will distribute our wreaths to veteran’s grave sites. All members are encouraged to attend.
Color Guard is encouraged to attend. To participate in the Color Guard, please contact Steve McKee at firstname.lastname@example.org. Color Guard should arrive by 11:30am.
20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31